sábado, 27 de enero de 2018

Review: “One dark throne” by Kendare Blake.



Title: One dark throne
Author: Kendare Blake
Book: Serie Three Dark Crowns #2
Editorial: HarperTeen
Pages: 448 (Hardcover)
ISBN-13: 978-0062385437
Mark: 7,5/10 

ABSTRACT
The battle for the Crown has begun, but which of the three sisters will prevail?
With the unforgettable events of the Quickening behind them and the Ascension Year underway, all bets are off. Katharine, once the weak and feeble sister, is stronger than ever before. Arsinoe, after discovering the truth about her powers, must figure out how to make her secret talent work in her favor without anyone finding out. And Mirabella, once thought to be the strongest sister of all and the certain Queen Crowned, faces attacks like never before—ones that put those around her in danger she can’t seem to prevent.
In this enthralling sequel to Kendare Blake’s New York Times bestselling Three Dark Crowns, Fennbirn’s deadliest queens must face the one thing standing in their way of the crown: each other.

PERSONAL VALORATION
Justification
As I promised you, here is the review of the second book of the tetralogy of “Three Dark Crowns” by Kendare Blake (for now they have only published the first and this second, which is only in English). Although there will not be any spoilers of “One dark throne (#2)” in this review, obviously, there will be some of the first book, “Three Dark Crowns (#1)” (whose review you will find here). So, you may proceed with care.
Considering that “Three Dark Crowns (#1)” slightly disappointed me in relation to what I expected to find and what I actually found, I started this book with less expectations although with a lot of curiosity. I think that the plot of the saga is very interesting (three twins with powers in a fierce fight for the crown) and that the atmosphere that the first book has created is worthwhile (a world reminiscent of medieval times in which women held power and authority).
Plot
In this book it is observed that, thanks to the (interminable) introduction that was made in the first book, there is much more action (although it can become repetitive). In this way, strategies, plans and alliances happen. The story advances a lot and apart from the narration of the sisters, other characters have voice, which allows us to see their role in the fight. This allows to have more diversity of points of view and opinions as well as a rest of the sisters (and their love-relationships). Kendare manages to make a mixture of moments of tranquillity and tension (a lot of tension) that hooks you (in this case, I read the book in two days and I do not have much time, so she has done it well).
Characters
As in the other book, the story has three co-protagonists: the three triplet sisters who fight each other:
  • Katherine, the poisoning queen. After she stayed in the Breccia Domain, Katherine seems to have completely changed: she is cold, manipulative and angry with everyone and everything.
  • Arsinoe, the naturalist queen? It is interesting to see her evolution as a person with her newfound powers and the different plans she makes to protect those she loves most. It has officially become my favorite queen.
  • Mirabella, she is the elemental queen. Her attitude has changed, but she does not convince me with those changes in behavior and thought. During the first book she has had a philosophy and she suddenly changes it without much justification.
As you can see, my favorite protagonist is Arsinoe. Mirabella does not transmit anything to me and Katherine gives me a bit of grief, although it is true that she is more proactive this time. All the queens have evolved in this second book, which makes them more interesting and complete (although, no, I'm sorry, Mirabella is not cool).
Regarding the secondary characters that already appeared in the first book my emotions are still similar: love and devotion for Jules Milone and Candem, curiosity for Madrigal, indifference for Elizabeth and Bree (who do not contribute nothing to me) and respect and interest for Natalia and by Luca (who are the real queens of this magical world). I reserve for the end my comments about the boys / suitors that appear in the story (because they have already a lot of importance in the plot): Billy is the only one who does not make me vomit, I don't like Joseph but heis tolerable, Pietier provokes contempt and Nicholas provokes infinite contempt.
Atmosphere
I was very curious to know how the subject of culture and society was going to be handled in this part of story. However, I have not been able to learn more from this world that remembers me the Middle Ages but with a certain feminist look. All the questions that I had have remained unresolved and I only have a couple of points clear (which are the most repeated in the two books). The construction of this world already seems of sufficient merit to me, but it would be even better to know not only general aspects (that the authority has for women) but to know how that affects in concrete aspects.
One criticism that I need to make to that atmosphere is the existence of relationships between the queens and the suitors quite worrying. It is not so much that love is a backbone of books and in certain parts becomes the most relevant part (which I do not like 100%), but the behaviors that are portrayed are possessive, jealous, abusive and passive-aggressive.
Writing style
As in the first book, the comments I make about the writing style focus on the same aspects: the rhythm and the use of cliff-hangers.
In this case, the rhythm has improved a lot and there are scenes of action and less action. At least this time I have not felt that the words happened while the action did not. So, point in Kendare's favor.
And regarding the use of cliff-hangers, maybe I am used to them or that this time they have been subtler, but in the end they have not been so annoying.

GENERAL COMMENT
Although the first book already presaged it, in this case my suspicions have been confirmed: the saga of “Three Dark Crowns” is going to give to speak within the juvenile literature. Not only does it unite the theme of adolescent love, but it also deals (increasingly) with political strategies and alliances. In addition, many issues and magical problems remain to be explored and solved.

-R.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario